What is a Succulent?
Succulents are plants with parts that are thickened, fleshy and engorged, usually to retain water in arid climates or soil conditions. They are those tiny cute, fleshy leaved creatures that remind me of cupcakes. Because they are so symmetrical and attractive, they make you want to play with and pluck their leaves, and therein lies their genius, because that is how they multiply and propagate. Though often mistaken, cacti are also succulents. Drought tolerant, mostly sun loving (though many succulent families adore a shaded spot), and the kind of plant you can forget you have without any fuss.
Top 5 reasons to buy succulents
- Drought tolerant
- Neglect tolerant
- Mostly unaffected but fungi and pests
- Easy to propagate
- Extremely attractive due to their symmetrical rosettes and bright colours
Types of Succulents available in India
If you’re looking to buy succulents online, you’ve come to the right place. Though most succulent are originally from Africa and Tropical America, we are blessed with ideal succulent growing conditions in many parts of India. The families of succulents we grow are listed below, some of which are indoor plants that you can buy online.
How to Care for Succulents Indoors
These are the top succulent growing tips that you need to know to grow healthy succulent plants. However, you have to modify these to suit your individual environmental conditions.
- Light – All succulents need bright light. Most cannot take direct hot sun so some afternoon shade, especially in summer and hot regions is essential. Colour depends a lot on light levels – if too low your succulent will stretch and become green; too much and they will bleach and burn. Haworthia, Gasteria and some Euphorbia succulents are the most suitable plants for low light conditions. All will grow well in balconies and bright windowsills.
- Water Quality – More than other plants, succulents like clean water – hard water will stain leaves and lead to all sorts of issues. Try to use soft water – there often are sources nearby. Our plants are grown using RO water.
- Watering – When you water, water well until a little comes out from the bottom. Then allow the media to almost dry out before watering again. They wet/dry cycle is a critical requirement of succulents. This is the rule to follow: when in doubt, do not water. Also, water only in the morning so the leaves dry out by night. In monsoons, exposure to heavy rain & prolonged must be avoided, so a covered space is essential.
- Temperature – Most succulents cannot take sub zero temperatures so luckily, most parts of India never get too cold to hurt succulents, but many parts do get very hot in the summer. Many succulents can take the heat, especially with shade and sufficient watering, but some are sensitive and prefer to not be in extremely hot climates.
- Humidity – Most succulents do not like high humidity combined with warm conditions (as we get in the summer in Mumbai and other parts of coastal India). Euphorbias like it and many succulents will bear it, especially with good air movement. Again, controlling watering helps.
- Fertilizer – Its best to avoid this to prevent problems – succulents can generally go for a long time without fertilizer. If you must, use a dilute fertilizer with high Potassium and low Nitrogen levels. If you use RO water some feed is essential and the RO water has no nutrition.
Where to buy succulents?
You can either buy succulents online or if you’re among the people who like to see your succulents live, you visit our nursery at -
Plot B-1, Santosh Nagar, Off R C Marg Behind Navbharat Apartments, Marouli Village Rd, Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400074
So that’s all you need to know about growing all succulents.